Sunday, April 19, 2009

Jai ho! ... and the Pussycat Dolls.

I just heard the new version of Jai Ho! A wonderful collaboration between A R Rahman and the Pussycat Dolls. And it definitely is a reflection of the interest the world has in India, its movies, music, and people.

Though I wonder who wrote the lyrics. It seemed like they just put in random words to fill in the blanks!!!

Sometimes I feel that we try too hard to achieve something that should never have been in the first place because the original itself is such a master piece not worth touching.

2 comments:

  1. Honestly, listening to their version makes me cringe...To begin with, if there was an English remake to be made I really wish it wasn't by the pussycat dolls!! I mean the movie and the song put India in the spotlight,I think getting them on the track, takes away a bit of its indianism and importance to us.

    Also, the song is not one of my AR Rehman Favourites, hes done plenty of other brilliant compositions, but this one has made it big and has made us proud ultimately. I just wish in the future, we Indians are selective with who we collaborate with in the west with coz we can afford to be! And I agree with one thing, we create masterpieces ourselves, needs no retouching!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely and totally agree with you. When I first heard that the Pussycat Dolls were going to do the English version I couldn't stop laughing. Imagine Nicole and gang singing Jai Ho!!

    And now after actually hearing this version I can't stop crying. Oh, how they have ruined it!!!

    ReplyDelete